Ever heard of hitting the books? Of course! But there is also a thing as hitting the kitchen. Well not exactly hitting it but just making a beeline to it as soon as you enter the house so that you can get dinner started and ready on time.
Here is my family’s absolute favorite shawerma recipe that I make all the time; its quick, requires very few ingredients and is super healthy.
- 1 lb boneless chicken – I prefer the brown parts as they are juicier but the white parts work very well too. Slice or cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- 1 tbsp – finely chopped ginger and garlic
- ½ tsp – cumin powder
- 1 tsp – salt
- ½ tsp – red chilli powder or paprika powder. This is optional and you can replace with black pepper powder but I recommend you add black pepper powder per your taste buds.
- Oil – about 1-2 tbsp. 1 tbsp is sufficient too and you can reduce further if you wish
- ¼ tsp – turmeric powder – optional
- 2 tsp – coriander powder – adds a lot of taste but you can skip it if you wish
- 1 tsp – garam masala powder. In some recipes I recommend replacing garam masala powder with five spice but in this case I would not do that. This can be optional as well though the flavor will be a tad different.
- ½ tsp – garlic powder
Lets go! Shawerma Recipe
Add oil in a deep based pan and add the garlic, ginger and the chicken. Fry until the chicken changes color and then add all the seasoning together. Stir fry until the chicken is cooked through. If you have used little or no oil you will need to add a little bit of water to aid the chicken in the cooking process and to ensure that the seasoning does not burn.
Once the chicken is cooked, the shawarma is ready.
Now for the dip – I like to serve it with my version of garlic sauce. Here’s the recipe.
One Fit Mum’s Gourmet Garlic Sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise – any version
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- I clove chopped garlic
Fry the chopped garlic in the oil until it becomes golden and fragrant or as soon as the edges of the pieces turn crisp. Immediately remove from the heat and add the oil into the mayo. Yep you guessed it, we just made garlic infused oil and added it into the mayo. You can add the garlic bits too – they actually turn sweet and crispy and add texture to the sauce. Ta da! The sauce is ready. You can serve it on the side as a dip, spread it onto some bread or drizzle it all over the chicken shawarma. Serve with fresh salad, hummus, olives and some warm pita bread or rice. #Dinner in 30.